Sunday, May 24, 2009

Pathways

I was just listening to Windmills of Your Mind on You Tube and it really reminded me of a poem I wrote years and years ago called Wheels Within Wheels.

I don't know where it is now. I wrote it on the back of a small brown paper bag that held popcorn. This was on an occasion when I was on a lunch break from jury duty in California.

I remember that I was initially happy to get away from work (a civil service job) and go on jury duty because I thought, "Well, this might be interesting." And also on the opposite side of that, "I hope I don't get any gruesome cases or have to make any life and death decisions." Something all jurors have to face unfortunately - but it was significant in other ways to me.

I know I've written about this before but I don't remember where so...if you run across it then I'm fleshing it out a bit more here.

I remember that I brought one book only to look at not realizing that much of jury duty is spent just sitting in the jury pool waiting to be called to be interviewed, or impaneled as they call it, for participation in a trial.

I could only look at this book from time to time because it's one of those books that make you think. It was a book about philosophy - stimulating thoughts and as such I had to stop and read and then stop and then read.

I think it was then from reading that book plus my exposure to the jury trial system and realizing the life changing impact that it had on people as well as my lunch break when being visited by a blue jay who kept me company sometimes in the park nearby while I shared popcorn from the small bag with blue jay and then writing the poem, something I only did in those days when I was profoundly inspired, that I realized that I wouldn't be going back for long to that civil service job. I had to be more involved in something that had greater meaning.

For the next few years I started reading other books and delving into deeper thoughts and considerations. It wasn't too long after that that I found my path in life. You never know what little or big thing might open a door that could reveal a more beneficial pathway in life. Goodlife.

No comments: