Monday, May 19, 2008

Lightning And Me

I recall when I was young, a teenager I believe, I accompanied my Father on a road trip he was making. This was rare for me to have the opportunity to go out with my Father who, at this time of his life, was going out and going on these road trips to do various sales of merchandise he had and deliver sometimes, samples to the stores so they could decide whether to order this or that or how much.

I recall once we were driving through Iowa and the area we drove into had just had one of the biggest rainstorms they'd ever had. It was 13 inches of rain - just all came down in one steady amount and while the bulk of the storm had cleared out there was still some thunderstorms in the area.

My Father was a very careful driver and he was driving very slowly and there were very few people on that highway, not surprisingly. It was a simple road - two lane blacktop and we suddenly found ourselves in a thunderstorm.

Lightning was crashing all around. I noted a lightning bolt crashing nearby and it was very loud thunder of course but then as the lightning started hitting closer to us something unusual happened and that's that I couldn't hear the thunder. I think it has something to do with distance and timing but not being a student of science I couldn't offer that explanation.

I recall at the time thinking that I thought I saw something in the lightning - I wonder if it would strike closer and I can see for sure - and almost instantaneously another bolt of lightning struck about 6 feet away from the car on my side and I had a chance to see clearly - yes - there were colors in the lightning. Just like colors in a rainbow only more distinct and more intense.

It is a curious thing that. I've had a lot of unusual encounters with lightning in my life. Later on in life I saw lightning that had no colors and while the storm was all around, this happening in Arizona, this form of lightning had no thunder and went on for some time. It looked just like lightning but it was a pale white light.

Another time also in the Southwest, this time in New Mexico, lightning struck very close to me - so close that my hair sizzled a bit and I was not harmed otherwise.

I do not want to suggest I'm recommending these experiences for they were both frightening and also interesting and yes exciting at the same time but overall after the experience I was glad it was over.

I'm mentioning this to you because of my ofttime experience and influence with the weather which I have been taught a great deal about from my teachers and have learned how to work benevolently with Mother Earth's elements, we call weather, which for her are simply parts of her physical personality.

Goodlife.

4 comments:

Questions About Faith, Etc. said...

Interesting blog. I assume you are a musician.

I am a novice guitar player, a lot of chording now.

Robert Shapiro said...

Greetings Questions, thank you for your comment. I am not a musician but thank you for the compliment - I do know quite a few and I wish you well on your musical journey.

Goodlife.

Louis Hart said...

Hi Robert,

I just difcovered you had this new blog. I really like what you've posted.

I've had a few brushes with lightning. I even got "slightly" struck by it when I was very young. That may have been the beginning of my weirdness. Ha.

Goodlife.

Robert Shapiro said...

Greetings Louis, I'm happy to be united in lightning brotherhood and unusual characteristics with you eh :-)

Goodlife.