Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Snowflakes


I remember when I was a youngster reading a book...I think it must have been about the planet. Maybe it was science...could have been in school - but there was all these pictures of snowflakes.

I'm not sure if they were actual photographs or if they were drawings and they were all these beautiful patterns. You've probably seen such pictures yourself or perhaps had the opportunity to take a quick glance at snowflakes yourself.

So of course the first chance I had - since I was growing up in Minnesota which was plenty cold in the winter and had enough snow as well :-) I looked at my sleeve when it was snowing and sure enough there were those beautiful fantastic crystalline images.

I didn't have the words or the sophistication then but I remember having a very calm good feeling to myself. If I had the words then that I have now I might have said to myself: God loves us - this is a place, a planet that is meant to be of beauty. Here is something natural that is so beautiful it's awe-inspiring.

I didn't have those words of course and before long someone called my name and I think it was my mom calling me in for lunch.

I'm bringing this recollection up not because it is so profound but because I know that there are aspects to life that are so difficult here - I experience some of those myself and yet I feel that ultimately this planet is meant to be about beauty, it's meant to be about kindness and we all experience that at one time or another - and it's meant to be about love.

While we don't have much of that all the time, if we're fortunate we have some of it some of the time and perhaps as time goes on and our hearts and souls become more of our predominant life cycles it might just be about that. Lets hope so.

Goodlife.

4 comments:

Margie said...

Beautiful post, Robert!
Thank you!

Margie

Robert Shapiro said...

Thank you for your comment Margie.

Goodlife my friend.

psisciguy said...

Hey Robert,

I'd like to say that regarding the 'very calm good feeling' that you get when looking at snowflakes - I find that just being in a place where the snow is falling, not looking at snowflakes in any detail, but just the whole scene of it all creates a very calming feeling... It feels like I'm nestled in a safe, gentle, thick yet nurturing space and I just love it.

I've been wondering why it is like that, and a part of me knows it has to do something with the crystalline geometries & designs present in all of these snowflakes, influencing our consciousness in some profound way.

Thank you for your writings,
- David

Robert Shapiro said...

Greetings David. I can recall that same feeling myself especially when the snow was falling lightly without any great wind and it was quiet outside which it sometimes was. It was like a magical moment - a communing with nature.

I can identify with what you said my friend.

Goodlife.