Sunday, July 6, 2008

A Heartwarming Surprise

Years ago I used to housesit for a dear friend of mine in Colorado. Her home, modest though it was, was as she described it, "A sweet little house" and it was very true. There was a lot of spiritual energy around and it felt very good and she was blessed by a certain phenomena.

Her home - while in a bustling community happened to back up to national forest preserve and I remember her saying once - I believe it was the first time I did an extended house-sitting for her - she said, "If you want to have an interesting experience some evening sit here at the dinning room table and just be alert.

"Have a light on but not too bright and just be alert to that window right in front of the table. You can do other things. You can write but just don't get too involved" and I said, "Okay" and I knew that she would give me suggestions like that because there was always more to it.

She was the sort of person who would like to tell somebody something but had noticed over time that sometimes it was better to make suggestions and to allow the future to unfold rather than to say - this will happen and this will happen.

In that way of course, you could be involved in your experience and discover your experience and be engaged in the teaching and the lesson rather than having the lesson laid out for you with prescribed results that you had to look for and then would feel uncomfortable with if it didn't evolve.

So on the basis of her suggestions which were always good that way, I sat at that table one evening and had a light on nearby and had in front of me writing materials to compose either a letter to someone or to write down ideas for articles and books and while I was in mid thought at one point I heard something rustle outside.

There was a very light snow falling so I wasn't sure at first whether it was simply snow sliding off the roof but I waited and sat quietly and pretty soon someone showed up at the window. You might say it was a face at the window, only this face was a beautiful face and had a very large rack of antlers.

It was a beautiful deer and the deer stopped and noticed me and looked in and as deer do when they felt safe even though there was really just a few feet - maybe a total of five feet between us but there was that wall that was a barrier - the deer felt safe and nodded at me and I nodded back and the deer walked on and I enjoyed that.

It was like - oh, that's what was going to happen. My friend wanted me to know that this is the path that deer take.

She told me sometime before that the deer often would come down out of the forest and walk past her house but she didn't say they would walk right past that window - right next to the house. And they would walk on to an old orchard that was sort of an extended portion of her yard and there was quite a few trees left from the old orchard. They would nibble on the apples that had either fallen on the ground or reach up a bit as far as they could and get the ones that were still left on the trees.

She made certain that the trees would be left for them and she would often leave lots and lots of apples on the trees so that the deer had something that they could live on and a nice snack and treat for the wintertime. You probably already know this but deer do love apples and that was a sweet thing that she did for them.

Well, as my time went on during that house-sitting and I realized the deer would walk right by the window I had that experience many times with the deer looking in the window and nodding like that.

If you've never been really up close and personal with deer they really can be the sweetest beings. They do have such great hearts. I used to have a friend who referred to deer as the king of the animals and this is not because deer had some power over others but rather because they have great heart. They have great compassion not only for their own kind but for others and also because they are prepared to make sacrifices not only to preserve their own families and their own communities but sometimes so that human beings might live and thrive.

Those of you who are hunters, especially spiritual hunters, and know how to hunt and offer gifts to the forest and gifts for the continuation of a noble species know exactly what I'm talking about. Another time maybe I'll tell you about someone I knew in Colorado who was a spiritual hunter.

Goodlife.

4 comments:

Louis Hart said...

Thank you for sharing this. It made my day brighter. Beautiful experience.

Goodlife.

Robert Shapiro said...

Thank you for your comment my friend. Are we swapping stories here or what ;-)

Goodlife.

geordie said...

Dear Robert -
I love this story ! I have a deep connection with Deer. It started when I was leading a meditation in my Reiki circle. We sent our grounding cords to the iron crystal in the center of earth and as we connected to the core, I felt us shift into a deep silence and saw a large buck enter our circle. In the weeks that followed, I had many synchronicities with Deer Spirit and later, while designing my website, I decided to call it deerspiritreiki.com. With your permission, I would like to quote your paragraph beginning with
" If you've never been...." on the Deer Medicine page of my site. I will also put your links on my links page.
I'm currently reading Particle Personalities and it is one of my all time favorites. I've been reading the chapter on healing energy particles to my Reiki students and they are deeply moved by it.
I've been reading spiritual books for over 40 years and I must say that your work is some of the most enlightening, informative, fascinating and fun stuff that I've
ever read !
I just ordered "Explorer Race - Origins, And The Next 50 Years" - can't wait till it arrives !!
Love & Gratitude
Geordie Numata

Robert Shapiro said...

Greetings Geordie,

Absolutely you have my permission. Feel free to quote that and I appreciate you putting up my links.

I'm glad you like the material and I'm glad you like Particle Personalities. I have had some nice feedback about that but it's always good to get more. You know how that is :-)

I am hoping you will enjoy the other books as you read them.

Goodlife my friend.