Monday, July 14, 2008

The Spiritual Hunters

Remember the last time I told you that I was going to tell you about a spiritual hunter I knew. Well this was a couple that lived in northern Colorado and I happened to meet one of them at one time.

She told me that she and her husband knew how to hunt and they would go hunting for elk and as I listened to her speaking I realized she wasn't just talking about going out into the forest and hunting as people do in order to put food on the table but she was talking about something else.

She told me that they would prepare and say prayers and cleanse themselves in a spiritual manner before they went to the forest and that they would bring gifts. She didn't elaborate on what the gifts were but she did indicate that sometimes it would be food and sometimes it would be things that they had created with the desire of having the exact elk show up for them that would be acceptable to the community of elk to be a being that would put food on their table and they would ask for that to happen you see.

So sometimes they would bring special things that they had made to help bring that about and they'd go to the forest. They wouldn't hunt the elk as a hunter might normally do tracking and so on but they would go to the same place all the time and they would sit down and wait. Soon - within an hour at most an elk would come along and stand and just wait for them to shoot the elk and take it for their table.

As she finished telling me that it made sense and she said, "...and I want you to understand the difference between eating elk that you might eat hunted in a normal way and elk that you might eat that is hunted in that spiritual fashion - where the elk that comes to you knows that it's going to be shot, knows that it's going to provide food for human beings."I said, "Oh, you can do that?"

She said, "Yes, I have a little stew left that I made from that elk. Would you like to have some" and I said, "Yes, please."

Imagine a beef stew. It was very much like a beef stew only there were a few chunks of elk meat in it. Now I've had some great beef stew in my time and I'm sure you have too but this elk stew was completely different.

There were just a few pieces of the elk in that stew but after I had that, and the total amount I had was probably no greater than what you would find in a 12 ounce coffee cup, and I had nothing else - just that - that's what she served me so that I could see the affects - I felt invigorated. I felt a spiritual energy come over me and I felt uplifted.

I learned something from that experience and I am hopeful that those of you who hunt might also be inspired by that. If you're not doing spiritual hunting now you might look into it. Ask around in your community. I am no expert on this but perhaps there is someone that knows how to do that and I wish you well in your endeavors.

Goodlife.

No comments: